About the Programme
Interested in Games User Research and User Experience? Just getting started and want a guiding hand? Or are you an industry pro who wants to help others? The GRUX-SIG Mentoring Programme may be for you!
About the mentor programme
A Mentor is someone who is already experienced in the Games industry, who can help with advice, learning opportunities and help you develop.
In this initial launch of the programme, we’ve formed a panel of experienced professionals who are happy to be contacted for 1:1 mentoring relationships, or just for individual questions.
This is a great opportunity to get support, advice, feedback or answer any specific questions you have about Games User Research and Experience.
Although the mentoring programme can involve career advice, it is not a shortcut to a job. Please also keep in mind that mentors have volunteered to help, but will not be available 24/7 and sometimes have other demands on their time.
Find a mentor
Interested in being mentored? Learn how to request a mentor
Be a mentor
Mentoring is very rewarding, allows you to reflect upon and develop your own skills, helps the Games User Research and Experience community, and is great for personal development.
Interested in learning about being a mentor? Please fill out this form. A member of the GRUX-SIG team will then be in touch with further details.
Here are some articles and links that will help with the mentor/mentee relationship.
- The UXPA have some tips for a successful first meeting, which are highly recommended for mentors and mentees to review before their first meeting.
- The University of Washington has put together a guide for mentees on how to build a successful relationship, which is full of good advice.
We’ve curated a list of articles that people have written aimed at helping students and newcomers to the industry develop their skills.
Found a great site to share, or have an idea for a new topic that should be covered? Please let us know.
- The GUR Starter Kit curated by Jonathan Dankoff
- Breaking into GamesUR by M. Kirk Rodgers
- How to Break Into Games User Research – Expert Opinions gathered by Steve Bromley
- Breaking into the video game industry as a games user researcher thread on the GUR-SIG LinkedIn group (you’ll need to be a member of the group to see this).
- The 6 UX roles in game development: What is games user experience, and who does it involve? by Graham McAllister (video)
- What’s in a games user research report An introduction and some tips and tricks for writing a games user research report.